Dallas Graham cares about Salt Lake City's future.

A long time Work Hive member, Dallas is the founder and director of the Red Fred Project, a nonprofit that connects with youth receiving treatment for extreme medical circumstances and life-limiting illnesses and publishes children's books that share each child's answer to the question: If you could write a book for the world to read, what would it be about? 

Having grown up in Salt Lake City, Dallas recognizes the evolution of the city - particularly in recent years - and how it is in a time of methodical growing pains as the local government and the many populations of residents explore where the city is heading, what values are important to uphold, and how we can all participate. 

Dallas' current contribution to that evolution is a public art exhibition called TOLERANCE

Conceived by renowned designer Mirko Ilić in 2017, TOLERANCE has been presented in several countries around the world, including Lebanon, South Africa, and Russia. The program is a public art installation of posters designed by artists all over the world in order to spread awareness and perpetuate a conversation about how all of our differences can and should be celebrated in a divided world. 

About the exhibition, Ilić says:

"The initial idea of this exhibition was to invite well-known graphic designers to create posters based on their understanding of tolerance in their mother tongue. One of the conditions was that the exhibition is placed in a public space, among the citizens, not in art galleries. The purpose of the exhibition is not only displaying posters, but in gathering and approaching people. Artists are the ones who promote tolerance and peace, and facilitate the reconciliation process."

About The Exhibit

112 individual posters were designed by artists all over the world, and now 14 local partners and organizations have been given the opportunity to display select posters in whatever way they desire in certain areas of the city. 

None of the artists were paid for their work and none of the posters will be for sale in any way.  Says Graham: "It is all free work so that the focus is on promoting good and inspiring the important dialogue about tolerance, especially here while Salt Lake City is searching for its identity. It is not only about the dialogue, but it is also a way for local organizations to connect with and contribute to their communities beyond the scope of their day to day practices through the medium of awesome artwork displayed in a unique way."



How To Experience TOLERANCE

The official launch of TOLERANCE begins next Tuesday, January 22nd. Here is a list of the formal schedule of launch events:

Tue 22 Jan.  | 1:30pm | Meet Mirko | 337 W Pierpont Ave. | Public Welcome

Tue 22 Jan.  | 7pm |  Community Roundtable | 337 W Pierpont Ave. | Public Welcome 

Wed 23 Jan.  | 11am | Plakat Walk | Start: Plakat Near Squatters | Public Welcome

Wed 23 Jan.  | 5:30-10pm | Tolerance Poster Projections | Main City Library | Free

Wed 23 Jan.  | 7-8pm | Artist Talk: Mirko Ilić | UMFA | Free & Public Welcome

Wed 23 Jan.  | 9-10pm | Candle Vigil | Main City Library | Public Welcome

All events are free and open to the public.

Connect with TOLERANCE using the hashtag:  #toleranceslc

For announcements, information, and a map of the exhibition around the city, go to: facebook.com/toleranceslc


Final Words From Mirko Ilić

"The most common reasons for intolerance are for belonging to the "wrong" tribe, having the "wrong" skin color, having the "wrong" sexual orientation, or believing the "wrong" religion. Three of these four "wrong" reasons are caused by birth. And that's something a person is not actually responsible for, not being able to control it at all. So, they don’t tolerate the way you are born. So, it's better not to be born. So, it's better that you don’t exist, it’s better if you’re dead. Isn’t that horrible?

These three "wrong" things make up 10% of our differences, in the other 90% we are all the same. We want to love. We want to be loved. We want security. We want work, food, water, and a roof over our head. We want a long life for ourselves and for our children. Isn’t that more of a reason for tolerance, than intolerance?"

Published in Coworking Blog